- 1 breadfruit 4 lbs , peeled and cleaned
- 1 1/2 lb of minced beef
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 to matoes diced
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pimento pepper minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Golden Ray Margarine
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 sprig celery
- 3 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- salt to taste
- Grated Cheese for topping
- 12 ″ x 8″ x 2″ baking dish
- Wash, peel and boil breadfruit.
- NOTE: Similarly to provision you test using a knife or ice pick.
- Mash and add evaporated milk, butter and 1/2 cup cheese. Mix well.
- Note: Texture here is all up to you. For a smoother pie, just mash until you don’t have any more lumps.
- Place pot over medium flame. Cook minced beef then add tomatoes, onion,
- pimento pepper, celery, salt and fine leaf thyme.
- Mix well.
- Add tomato paste and green seasoning and continue cooking.
- When the beef is nearly finished add the golden ray margarine.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE PIE
- In a greased dish add one layer of breadfruit followed by a layer of beef. Complete with another layer of breadfruit. Top with cheese.
- NOTE: Before you spread the breadfruit divide it into two so you will have equal amounts for each layer. Breadfruit is very sticky so make sure to wet the spoon you’re using to spread the breadfruit.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
- Cool for 10 minutes then serve.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved