Servings: 1 8" Square pan
- 4 cups about 8 slices whole grain bread (cut small), day old
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup honey or 1 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract or essence
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. grated lime or lemon rind
- 1 pinch salt
- Dice the whole grain bread slices. Add the milk and vanilla essence to the bread and leave to soak for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the oil to the soaked bread. Mix again.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the sugar (or honey if you choose). Mix well. Add the raisins. Beat the eggs. Add the grated lime or lemon rind. Mix thoroughly.
- Bake in a greased dish in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes until done. Allow an additional 5-10 min of cooling time before serving.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved