Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Meats
- 8 cups pig’s blood
- 2 lbs pig’s liver
- 1 lb pig’s fat
- 3 – 4 cups green seasoning ( chive, celery, pimento, onions, fine leaf thyme, spanish thyme, chadon beni)
- 1 tbsp ground spice
- 1 tbsp clove powder
- 12 hot peppers
- 6 tbsp salt or more to taste
- 6 hops bread, cut into small cubes (optional)
- pig’s intestines (about 24 feet)
- 7 limes
- banana straw
- water to boil pudding
- Mix blood with salt to prevent clotting. Cover and set aside.
- Mince liver and fat and set aside.
- Wash the intestines with lots of lime and then turn inside out. Note: Make sure to clean thoroughly removing excess fat and tissue on intestine.
- Add green seasoning, ground spice and clove to blood and mix. Then add minced hot pepper to the blood along with the minced liver and fat. Mix. Note: Add bread at this step if desired. Also when adding the pepper remove all the seeds before mincing.
- Tie one end of the cleaned intestine with string. Now we’re ready to make some black pudding!
- Take an intestine, place a funnel at the open end and pour a cupful of the blood mixture. Ram the mixture using the handle of a swizzle stick. Continue until filled.
- Tie and place carefully into a bowl.Over a very low fire, place intestines carefully to boil in a pot that has been lined with straw ( in this case banana leaves) to prevent the pudding from bursting. Note: The black pudding took about 3 hours to gently cook.
- When it is just about ready test using a cocoyea stick. Note: The stick should come out clean with no blood seeping through. Cocoyea – rib of the coconut leaf.
- When finished remove from water and set aside to cool.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved