If you enjoy black pudding and think you are capable, here is a traditional black pudding recipe.
- 8 cups pig’s blood
- 2 lbs pig’s liver
- 1 lb pig’s fat
- 3 – 4 cups green seasoning chive, celery, pimento, onions, fine leaf thyme, spanish thyme, chadon beni
- 1 tbsp ground spice
- 1 tbsp clove powder
- 12 hot peppers
- 6 tbsp salt or more to taste
- 6 hops bread cut into small cubes (optional)
- pig’s intestines about 24 feet
- 7 limes
- banana straw
- water to boil pudding
- Mix blood with salt to prevent clotting. Cover and set aside.
- Mince liver and fat and set aside.
- Wash the intestines with lots of lime and then turn inside out. Note: Make sure to clean thoroughly removing excess fat and tissue on intestine.
- Add green seasoning, ground spice and clove to blood and mix. Then add minced hot pepper to the blood along with the minced liver and fat. Mix. Note: Add bread at this step if desired. Also when adding the pepper remove all the seeds before mincing.
- Tie one end of the cleaned intestine with string. Now we’re ready to make some black pudding!
- Take an intestine, place a funnel at the open end and pour a cupful of the blood mixture. Ram the mixture using the handle of a swizzle stick. Continue until filled.
- Tie and place carefully into a bowl.Over a very low fire, place intestines carefully to boil in a pot that has been lined with straw ( in this case banana leaves) to prevent the pudding from bursting. Note: The black pudding took about 3 hours to gently cook.
- When it is just about ready test using a cocoyea stick. Note: The stick should come out clean with no blood seeping through. Cocoyea – rib of the coconut leaf.
- When finished remove from water and set aside to cool.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved