Black Eyed Peas Pelau
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
Cuisine: Creole, Caribbean
- 1 lb. blackeye peas, soaked over night
- 2½ cups rice, washed
- 1½ lb. chicken, seasoned with green seasoning and marinated
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- Salt to taste
- 2 pimento peppers, chopped
- 3 tbsp. coconut powder
- Soak peas overnight, boil for 15 – 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Season and marinate chicken. [Note: For a faster marinade add a little rum with the green seasoning. It works!]
- Heat oil add sugar. When the sugar bubbles and looks golden brown add chicken. Stir to coat evenly. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peas, rice, carrot, pimento and celery. Stir Then add coconut powder and about 2 cups of water. Let simmer over a low fire until rice is cooked.Stir occasionally. [ Note: You may have to add a little water while the rice cooks.]
- Adjust salt to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved