Black Eyed Peas and Rice
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Serves: 7 cups
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, dried
- ½ lb chicken or beef, chopped and seasoned (you can also use ham)
- 1 bouillon cube (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (coconut oil preferably)
- ½ -1 tsp salt
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small pimento
- 1 small red pepper (optional)
- 1 sprig parsley, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme, chopped
- 2¼ cups rice
- Boil rice and set aside. Pressure cook the peas (peas may also be soaked overnight before cooked)
- Cut up and season the chicken with green seasoning. Heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic, pimento, pepper, parsley and thyme.
- Add the meat and a little water and cook until tender. Add the black eyed peas to the chicken.
- Add the bouillon cube if desired and simmer the cooked black eyed peas for about 5 - 7 minutes.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved