Black Beans and Rice
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chive chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 2 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- 1 tbsp. chopped celery
- 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste optional
- Tips: Precooking Directions for Black Beans:
- Sort and rinse the beans. Pick of any stones, sticks, or shrivelled or discoloured beans. Wash in a bowl of water and discard beans that float to the top. Rinse the beans.
- Soaking Beans I’ve found it is always best to pre-soak beans overnight before use. Cover the beans with water – for every 1 cup of beans cover with 4 cups of water. Throw out the water and place beans in a pot. Add fresh water and cook. Note, you can “quick-soak” beans in a large saucepan. Add the water and allow to boil. Remove from fire, cover and allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Now that you have pre-soaked the beans, it is time to begin cooking. I usually pressure cook my beans since I really don’t have time to wait hours for the beans to cook.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil.
- Add the black beans. Simmer for two minutes… then add the water. Pressure cook beans for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once the beans are cooked at the herbs. Add the chopped chive. Then the chopped celery, fine leaf thyme, and parsley. You can also add some of your favourite herbs as well. Add the green seasoning.
- Add salt to taste. Once the herbs are added leave to simmer for 5 minutes and remove. Serve hot with boiled or steamed rice. Note: You can also saute 1 tbsp. onion and 1 clove of garlic and add it to the black beans for added flavour afterward.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved