- 4 tb flour
- ¾ cup water
- 2 cup skim milk or milk substitute
- 1½ tsp. fresh sage crumbled finely
- —OR— 1 tsp. ground sage ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper ½ tsp. tobasco sauce ¼ tsp Salt ½ tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- Mix flour and water until smooth and no lumps. Put into medium sauce pan, and heat over medium-high heat until the mixture boils.
- Reduce heat, stirring constantly, and boil for 4 – 5 minutes. Mixture should be very thick and blubbery.
- Add milk and stir until the mixture is smooth again. Add spices, and return to boil, cooking until it has the consistency of thick gravy.
- Serve over split baking powder biscuits, with fruit (whole-berry cranberry sauce was *great* with this dish!), grits, red beans and rice, toast and jam, etc.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved