Barbadine Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 barbadine fruit yields 3 cups
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups fresh coconut milk See instructions below
- 1/2 cup condense milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. coconut essence
- Remove the seed and strain to collect the liquid. Peel the barbadine and chop the pulp.
- Blend the liquid and chopped pulp of the barbadine in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Now for the coconut milk:
- Blend the meat of 2 coconuts with 3 1/2 cups of water. Strain and squeeze in a mesh cloth.
- This should yield about 4 cups of coconut milk. Reserve three cups. Pour one cup of coconut milk in a bowl.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk. Make sure there are no lumps.
- In a deep pot, add the blended barbadine pulp, the three cups of coconut milk and sugar.
- Heat over a low flame and mix with a whisk.
- Add the condensed milk. Mix well.
- Add the reserved coconut milk + cornstarch mixture
- Add the heavy cream (optional). Allow to cool and then refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Remove the mixture and place in the ice cream machine.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for churning the ice cream.
- In our case, using a kitchenaid ice cream attachment, a thick creamy mixture is produced after 20 minutes.
- Pour the ice cream in a container and freeze. Serve cold.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved