Baked kalounji makes an interesting side dish or even an appetizer if you dare.
Cuisine: East Indian
- 2 caraili bitter gourd, karela
- 1 lb minced chicken
- 1 cup cheese grated
- 2 sweet pepper small
- 1/2 cup onion sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup green seasoning
- salt to taste
- Slice the sweet pepper. Wash and slit the caraili longitudinally. Remove the seeds.
- Blanche the caraili in hot water. Remove and place in cold water. Set aside.
- Note: Alternatively, you can use the salting method explained earlier
- but you will have to do it 30 minutes before attempting the recipe.
- Season the meat with the green seasoning and salt.
- In a deep pot, saute the onion in oil until translucent,
- then add the minced chicken. Leave to cook, stirring every now and then.
- Remove when the meat absorbs the liquid and is properly cooked .
- Stuff the caraili with the minced chicken.
- Then top the minced chicken with the thin slices of sweet pepper.
- Finally top with cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
- Remove and leave to cool. Cut into 1″ slices before serving.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved