Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Breads
Cuisine: East Indian
Yield: Serves 8
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp.olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. green seasoning
- 2 tsp. geera
- 5 medium potatoes
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and water into a dough. Coat the dough with oil and leave to rest for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cut the potatoes in half and boil in 1 teaspoon of salt. Peel and crush the potatoes with the back of a fork and add geera, green seasoning, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 loyas or balls. Open out a ball and sprinkle a bit of flour. Then add about 2 tbsp of potato.
- Pull the edges together at the centre to form a ball again. leave to rest for 5 minutes. Roll out the ball on a floured surface and place on a hot oiled tawa.
- Note: Keep a little saucer or bowl of oil close so you can oil the tawa occasionally and spread a little while cooking the roti on both sides.
- Fold over once and place in bowl lined with paper towels or a piece of cloth.
- Serve with Curry chicken, and Channa and aloo
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved